Friday, October 28, 2011

CAMPUS-COOL x VOL.10: MIDNIGHT MISCHIEF

Image Hosted by Imageshack.us
On Wednesday, October 26th, I experienced one of the biggest scares ever in all almost-22-years of living. So I was on campus when I decided I wanted to photograph this outfit at night because I felt it most suitable. When I do self-shoots, I usually use my 18-55mm lens, OK? It's easier to capture up-close shots and so on. I set up my substitute tripod, given that my actual tripod is currently crippled. Played around with the settings till I found one that worked best, aligned my left eye with the viewfinder and began searching for an item to focus on and that's when it hit me. Anyone who owns a camera should be very much acquainted with that swiveling sound the lens creates as it swivels rightward and leftward, in search of its point-of-focus--I realized I was standing in complete silence. Well, aside from the occasional roar of laughter that came from the kids across the street, bumming cigs and what not, it was dead-silent. I flew into a frenzy like, "oh, no! this can not be happening to me!" I've had occasions where I go on blogs and the author of it is complaining about being without their camera(s) and I was thought that to unfortunate. I thought maybe it was the body of my camera, but to make certain, I quickly detached, then attached another lens and the shutter went of almost immediately. I was also greeted with that swiveling sound the instant I looked through the viewfinder--phew! The problem was with the lens, not the camera. That's a less complicated problem given that camera bodies are more expensive than lenses. I simply can not imagine life with my main instrument used for creating. So, I took a deep breath and attempted to at least hear the shutter snap--nothing. I surrendered and retreated back to my apartment.
Image Hosted by Imageshack.us
I sulked and dragged my now seemingly heavy legs into my bedroom, plopped myself down on my bed, but before I could call it quits, I had to give it one more try. I attached the 18-55mm lens, aligned my eye yet again with the viewfinder and aimed at the half-full glass of water on my nightstand. I thought maybe, if I switched the lens to manual, instead of automatic, it would work again. I did so and noticed the camera was actually responding as I adjusted the lens back and forth. Alas! Hope. I adjusted it some more and then I heard it--snap! My lens still works. The swiveling sound was just some sort of disabled. I rejoiced and ran back outside to take these pictures.
Image Hosted by Imageshack.us
Image Hosted by Imageshack.us
Image Hosted by Imageshack.us



Click the jump for more.
[=

1 comments:

Anon said...

That last picture is fierce!

Post a Comment